Friday, March 4, 2011

Holy Crap!

Imagine walking down a busy NYC street. You mosey on up to the corner, waiting for a shot to dart across the intersection, and your eye catches a flash of white paper taped to a light post. In large font, you see "7 Holy Crap" typed on an 8x11 sheet of paper. Would you walk over to read the rest?

An unnamed author has been posting pages of his novel all over NYC this week, attempting to captivate an audience by sending them on a wild goose chase to locate each page...

I gotta hand it to the guy, that's damn creative!

There are quite a few articles out and about covering it, and I hope the author steps into the spotlight soon to claim his 15 minutes of fame.. I would be interested in interviewing him!

What do you think? Is this a new form of marketing? Would you embark on this "Novel Hunt" just to see what happens next?

(thanks to Danie of Booktacular for posting this over at TNBBC)

10 comments:

  1. Ha! That is really cool! What a clever idea. Hopefully it's a good read, otherwise that would be disappointing.

    I don't exactly know that I'd follow something like this, but I'd enjoy reading the news about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this yesterday from another goodreads member. I LIKE IT!!! In a way I want him/her to stay in the shadows. Its it better.

    I wonder how long its going to take to post every page...?

    Do you know anyone who has posted the first pages, I'm curious to read it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to follow the trail if the initial pages caught my interest. This is such a fun idea! I hope the author finds success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments guys! I thought it was a crazy cool thing to do. Maybe he should be laminating the pages first though? A little bit of water gets on it (like the one page in the photo up there) and it won't be readable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is such a crazy awesome idea! If I was familiar enough with the city, I'd probably spend more time than I'd care to admit hunting them down, even if I wasn't loving the story just for the novelty and awesomeness of that idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone should be following it, snapping a photo, and blogging about it! God, it's times like these that I wish I lived in NYC, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No kidding! How cool would that be for a Sat. activity?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, thanks for the shoutout!

    Anyways, I really wish I lived in New York City, because I would definitely follow the story. According to the article on Yahoo, which is where I originally saw it, each page includes instructions on how to get to the next one. It just seems really interesting. And it's a great PR idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun idea, though I'd be personally too busy to follow the book that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is awesome! If someone did it in my city, I'd definitely go on the hunt for the pages (I'm busy too, but how can you not take up the hunt?) Props to this guy/gal for their creativity!! I hope the story is good :)

    ReplyDelete